SERVPRO of Miami Beach is a Hero in the Battle against Mold Damage
Should we Give a Tip of the Hat to Mold?
Mold is ancient, tenacious, and often voracious. At SERVPRO® of Miami Beach, we admit to a small amount of admiration, especially for mold that stays outdoors and out of the way.
We are experts in mold mitigation, not in mold itself, but we have learned some impressive facts from the scientists who study molds:
- Molds appeared on Earth about 1.5 million years ago
- Outdoors, molds are necessary (indoors, no)
- It is mold, not the mold spores, that cause problems, which is fortunate, because the spores:
- Can survive extreme heat, cold, and dryness (unlike molds themselves)
- Cannot be seen w/o a powerful microscope
- Are carried by air currents and deposited every place air goes
- The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) requires that mold and mold damage be mitigated by professionals in public and commercial buildings for any area larger than nine square feet
- It recommends that homeowners hire professionals to mitigate mold and mold damage
- The EPA and the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) explain that there is no way to get rid of all of the mold or mold spores, but it is possible to control the growth of mold by controlling moisture
Mold thrives in warm, moist environments, and Miami Beach does not lack warmth or humidity.. We’re sure anyone who lives or works near Edgewater has seen mold creeping on the furniture when the a/c goes out.
Call SERVPRO of Miami Beach at 305- 532-5411 for expert mitigation of mold and mold damage.
Warmth, Oxygen, Moisture, Food
Those are the conditions that molds need to survive.
We can’t take away the necessary warmth, because no one wants to live inside an ice floe (where, remember, the spores can survive anyway).
We can’t get rid of the oxygen because we need it too.
We can’t get rid of the food, because mold eats just about anything, including:
- Anything organic, including wood, cotton, leather, and paper
We can get rid of excess moisture. Obviously, we don’t want to remove all of the moisture, but that wouldn’t be necessary. Even small amounts of water, such as condensation inside a window, or droplets from a steamy shower, are enough to open mold spores.
Trust SERVPRO of Miami Beach
We have never claimed that we can get rid of all mold or mold spores, and we won’t. What we can do and will do is:
- Remove the excess moisture that allows molds to flourish
- Find the sources of excess moisture
- Clean and disinfect the mold-attacked areas
- Check the HVAC for growing mold, clean and disinfect HVAC
- Inspect likely targets for mold growth and mold damage
- Remove moldy drywall
- Reinstall drywall and carpet, repaint
- Restore mold-damaged tiles
- Remove the musty odor
- Safely dispose of all hazardous materials
- Keep everyone safe from the molds and the materials we use to mitigate damage
Call us at 305- 532-5411.