Thunderstorm preparedness in Miami Beach
Thunderstorms are beautiful, but they can also be dangerous. They can cause severe damage to your home and property in Miami Beach. Thunderstorms include lightning and can:
- Include winds over 50 MPH
- Create hail
- Cause flash floods
- Cause tornadoes
In most places, a thunderstorm can happen at any time of the year and at any time of the day.
SERVPRO® of Miami Beach knows you cannot prevent a thunderstorm, but you can prepare:
- Know the risk for thunderstorms in Miami Beach
- Sign up for your community’s warning system
- Cut down or trim trees that may fall on your home or office
- Install surge protectors, lightning rods, or a lightning protection system
SERVPRO of Miami Beach repeats the warning, “When thunder roars, go indoors.” You don’t have to wait for the thunder. If there is a thunderstorm warning, go inside. Once there:
- Unplug appliances
- Do not use landline phones in office or home
- Pay attention to alerts and warnings
If you can’t get inside a building:
- If you are swimming or in a boat, get to land immediately. Find shelter
- If you are in a car, don’t touch anything metal
- “Turn around. Don’t Drown. '' Avoid flooded roads. 6 inches of moving water can knock you down. One foot of moving water can sweep away your car.
A lightning strike during a thunderstorm can leave a wake of destruction in its path. This can range from minor electrical issues to fire damage. Lightning is also a major cause of injury or death from weather-related dangers. Most people survive being hit by lightning, but they often have long-term problems.
SERVPRO of Miami Beach is independently owned and operated.