If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (305) 532-5411

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Miami Beach Be Ready: Above-Average Storm Activity Predicted in '17

6/4/2017 (Permalink)

Hurricane Matthew was supposed to hit Miami Beach and Miami. However it veered off course, and made landfall further north in 2016.

Hurricane Matthew was supposed to hit us in the Miami and Miami Beach areas in 2016. But once again we threaded the needle, avoiding complications.

Only time will tell how Miami and Miami Beach will fare in 2017.  But nationally,  forecasters predict a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, forecasters are predicting a 70 percent likelihood of 11 to 17 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 5 to 9 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 2 to 4 major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher). An average season produces 12 named storms of which six become hurricanes, including three major hurricanes.

Already there has been a storm -- before the 2017 season began on June 1. It was named Tropical Storm Arlene, a rare pre-season storm that formed over the eastern Atlantic in April.

Commercial property owners are urged to call us at SERVPRO of Miami Beach for help with readiness -- already SERVPROs across the country have produced tens of thousands of "Emergency Ready Plans," which is a helpful tool to guide property managers at a time of disaster. Just give us a call at (305) 532-5411 to inquire about this complimentary service.

Hopefully we're not going to need the preparation in 2017 here in Miami and Miami Beach. But we'll be glad we have it in the event of a storm!

Other News

View Recent Posts